April 03, 2015

Review: The Deal (Off-Campus #1) by Elle Kennedy


Title: The Deal
Author: Elle Kennedy
Series: Off-Campus #1
Genre: new adult, contemporary romance
She’s about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it’s going to be oh so good.

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he’s worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he’s all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn’t take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn’t going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


The Deal by Elle Kennedy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 jocks are human after all STARS


“I never expected her. Sometimes people sneak up on you and suddenly you don't know you ever lived without them.”


Well I'll be damned, that one actually did live up to the hype. Honestly, if you haven't read The Deal yet, I really don't know what you're doing. It's simply a good book, with a great story and two very lovable main characters.

The Deal is the first instalmet in Elle Kennedy's Off-Campus series. It's a sort of 'enemies' to 'friends' to 'lovers' story, set at college in the US. Now I'm not the biggest college romance fan and as someone pointed out the other day, this is a straight up typical YA romance book. Well, ok...if you say so.

For me it was brand new and super duper awesome on top. Also, not sure how sex is handled in YA, but I'm assuming this is at least NA in terms of steaminess...is that a word?



“Ha! I knew you were into him! Oh my God! Hold my juice—I think I need to break out in a happy dance! Do you know how to do the running man? If so, can you teach me right now?”


The story!

Hannah Wells has a crush. After struggling for a long time, she has finally felt a spark with another human being. Problem is getting his attention. But fear not little Hannah, help is served on a silver platter. Clue in...

Garrett Graham has a problem. One of his midterms didn't work out as well as he had hoped and as a result he is in danger of being barred from his hockey team if the GPA doesn't improve. He needs a tutor. Oh I know...how about Hannah?

Well, for starters he needs to find a way to persuade the reluctant straight A student and musician to even talk to him, let alone invest her precious free time on a jock. Luckily her crush on another college athlete might be his way in. After all what better way to get a boy's attention than to make him jealous with the captain of the hockey team, right?

They make a deal....tutoring in exchange for a fake date.

What could possibly go wrong?




“How did I go so long without noticing you, damn it? Why did it take seeing a stupid A on your midterm to make me notice?”

He sounds so genuinely upset that I scoot closer and kiss him. “It doesn’t matter. You know me now.”

“I do,” he says fiercely.”


My thoughts!

There was very little I didn't like about this book. I was spell bound from the first page. I loved the writing, I adored the quirky story line and I fell head over heels for Mr. I'm-an-asshole-by-day-and-sweet-and-caring-human-being-by-night Graham!

This is not my first Elle Kennedy book, but I don't remember her writing being so witty and engaging and simply on point before.

The characters weren't straight up college clichés, there were layers and history and just really well developed personalities. Especially the dual POV helped out with that. What can I say? It was cute, I had a laugh and was touched by other parts. I loved it.

The only thing that really made no sense at all was 'the Logan thing'. Many have said that before and I have to agree, it was way weird and seeing that the next book will be about him just makes me more curious to read The Mistake. I believe we haven't heard the last about his rather strange and out of the blue crush. o.O

Well, I already feel like re-reading this book. I guess that tells you everything you need to know. ;D

Thank you for your time and sorry for taking so long to write this. I'm so happy I finally made it. ;D


No comments

Post a Comment

+up