March 27, 2015

Review: Revved (Revved #1) by Samantha Towle


Title: Revved
Author: Samantha Towle
Series: Revved #1
Genre: contemporary romance, erotica, new adult
Race car mechanic Andressa "Andi" Amaro has one rule—no dating drivers. With a good reason behind the rule, she has no plans on breaking it.

Carrick Ryan is the bad boy of Formula One. With a face and body that melts panties on sight, and an Irish lilt that leaves women on their knees, begging for more. He races hard and parties harder. The youngest driver to ever sign with F1, he’s still at the top of his game five years later, breaking hearts on and off the tracks.

When Andi is offered her dream job working in the glamorous world of F1, she leaves her home in Brazil, positive she can handle working for Carrick. But she’s not prepared for the off-the-chart sparks that fly the moment they meet.

Now, Andi has a crush on the one man she can’t have, and her resolve is about to be put to the test, because Carrick has decided he wants Andi, and he plans on testing her to the very limit…



Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


Revved by Samantha Towle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 rev up my engine STARS



“Exactly how did we go from me not getting involved with drivers to you and I having sex?”

“We haven't gotten to the sex yet. Trust me. When we do, you'll know.”


Alright. This is going to be interesting. I loved and hated this book all at the same time. Not possible you say? Hold on and let me explain!




The Good:

I loved the idea of the book.

Female mechanic and man-whore driver for a Formula one racing team fall for each other, even thought they really shouldn't. Sounds absolutely perfect in my humble opinion.

First and foremost, I'm a Formula 1 fan. While growing up, I spent every race weekend watching Michael Schumacher becoming a seven-time world champion. I was six years old when he won his first Grand Prix and I was eighteen years old when he won his last world championship. See my point there? Vettel is alright as well, but Schumacher in his Ferrari is just a childhood memory. (But we are going with Vettel theme here, better quality and looks more like Carrick ;D)

So, naturally this is the reason for my 3 instead of 2 Star rating. I never even thought about looking for a story like this before, but I sure will be on the lookout now.

Of the two main characters, I liked Carrick Ryan the best. He is the driver and is an arse-hole man-whore, until he meets the feisty new mechanic who also happens to look like a super-model. What's not to like? Well, he has slip-ups, but we talk about that under 'the ugly'.

Carrick and Andressa are really hot together! I think the scenes where those two flirt with each other and eventually hit the sack are actually the most convincing and best written parts of Revved. But...




The Bad:

The writing!

I'm sorry to say this, but other than a few highlights here and there I never got into the writing style. I'm exactly sure what is was. Maybe the overabundance of dialogue or the first person narrator. It just didn't work for me at all.

Luckily I was far too invested in the story and wanted to find out what happens. So I had to soldier on.

My least favourite main character is Andressa 'Andi' Amaro. A brillinat mechanic and daughter of William Wolfe. One of the best Formula 1 drivers ever, who died during a tragic accident during a race. Unfortunately, Andi wasn't a very lovable character and frustrated me to no end. This is probably connected to the writing style, because since we are in her head all of the time I just felt like giving her a good high five in the head with a chair every once in a while. Other than that she just felt very immature and indecisive.




The Ugly:

This is a book about racing, a mechanic and a driver. For God's sake I need some technical stuff and specific lingo and what not. Not too much, but just a little something to tell me that there was some research going on. My dad is an engineer who loves his cars. You can actually say I grew up with greasy fingers from helping him refit and restore engines. That part just fell right down on its face. Because a complete overhaul in 4 days is a bit optimistic for one mechanic alone. Not to mention shipping for the parts. And I should really shut off my brain. Sorry.

Bad choices all around. I love a good cat and mouse game but the constant push and pull with these two was not only annoying and repetitive but also very painful. There are only so many time I can hear the 'he is a driver I can't be with him' excuse...get over your daddy issues. PLEASE! On top of that, every time Andi pushed Carrick away he ended up with another woman. WTF? Serious breaking point for me.

So, all in all an enjoyably awful read.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up