January 10, 2015

Review: First Debt by Pepper Winters



“You say I’ll never own you. If I win—you willingly give me that right. You sign not only the debt agreement, but another—one that makes me your master until your last breath is taken. You do that, and I’ll give you this.”

Nila Weaver’s family is indebted. Stolen, taken, and bound not by monsters but by an agreement written over six hundred years ago, she has no way out.

She belongs to Jethro as much as she denies it.

Jethro Hawk’s patience is running out. His inheritance gift tests, challenges, and surprises him—and not in good ways. He hasn’t leashed her but he thinks he might’ve found a way to bind her forever.

Debts are mounting. Payment waiting.










MY REVIEW


First Debt by Pepper Winters
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 bat-shit crazy STARS



“I’d been taught to be the master of my emotions. I prided myself on embracing all that he taught me. One little Weaver bitch would not undermine me. This was the way of our world.My world.Her world.No matter how she bewitched me, no matter how she turned my body and willpower against me, I wouldn’t give in.She’d learn that soon enough.”


Yeah. Good luck with that one stud. You're a glutton for punishment if you actually think Ms. Winters doesn't have other plans for you. Just hold on tight and pray for mercy...that's what we do every time we open one of her books. Just sayin'.

A new Indebted book and I'm chronically late reading it. I have no clue why, because I love her unusual anti-heroes like nothing else and yet I need ages to pick them up. Here is another New Year's resolution...read Pepper Winters books as soon as they drop! :D

Ok, let's do this.



We start right where Debt Inheritance left off.

Nila is on the run! With Jethro is in hot pursuit.

Of course with a little help from half a docent foxhounds and a horse. No one said this was going to be a fair chase after all. But Nila continues to be a surprise for him. She is strong willed and tougher than he would have ever imagined. It’s not without trouble that he finds her and the real problems are only just starting to emerge.

“This wasn't about the chase. We all knew who would win. It was about defiance. The word that I never knew or put into practice until last night, but now I lived and breathed it. I would be the most defiant thorn, stabbing holes in Jethro's carefully made plans.”


It follows a ruthless mind-game and basically a battle of wills. The good stuff.



“He claimed he was cold-hearted and impervious. He lied.I'll show him. I'll prove he's as ill-equipped to play this charade as I am.”


Jethro, oh dear Jethro!

That boy is in so much trouble and it is beautiful to see it all unravel. I have to say his little Jekyll and Hyde thing he has going in his head is amusing to say the least.

One second he is the cold hearted arsehole we love to hate and the next he shows almost human like tendencies. What gives? Not complaining, mind you. But the cracks he is showing might be a bit premature. I would have loved a smoother transition, to be honest. But I did love seeing his role in the family, his troubles and reasons. That made it all more plausible and easier to stomach, I guess.

But all in all a really interesting character and that first debt he collected? I don't know, but if that was the easy one? Oh boy!


Nila bad-ass Weaver

Where did you hide those balls all these years? I'm so glad you finally use them. Rock on girlfriend!

Nila grows stronger and more focused by the minute and that's saying something. Most people would crack under these circumstances, but for some reason this woman is a fast learner and can adjust like nothing I've seen before.

But despite all that is happening I have a feeling like they evened out the playing field and it just makes playing games so much more entertaining, doesn’t it?



“We would keep on ruining each other.We would keep on desecrating debts and vows.And we would keep on fucking up our future until nothing but horror remained.”


What else can I say about this book? First and foremost, I loved a lot more than the last one. Especially Nila seems a lot more grounded and less all over the place. We get to see who she is, who she becomes and I love to see the fight in her.

Jethro on the other hand has this rather fast change of heart. The pure evil we loved to hate in the first instalment seems to have taken flight...puff and gone...


But regardless this book kept my pulse up and not necessarily because bad shit happened, but because I was afraid of what might happen. There is this constant undercurrent of danger lurking and it's rather amazing to see such skill in an author, but on the other hand I was scared as hell. Oh my poor nerves...

First Debt is not a book for casual reading or even skimming through. Every other sentence could be quoted. Seriously, you don't even want to see all the passages I highlighted. And I felt like paying extra attention because I was afraid of missing something important.

Also, the ending...HOLY SHIT! I screamed like a little girl and I'm still a little giddy. I love this shit! And yes, I swear a lot. Sorry, not sorry. ;P


**Off topic: one of my New Year's resolutions is working...I'm taking notes. Can you tell? ;D


No comments

Post a Comment

+up