December 06, 2014

Review: For You by Kristen Ashley


Lieutenant Alexander Colton and February Owens were high school sweethearts. Everyone in their small town knew from the moment they met they were meant for each other. But something happened and Feb broke Colt’s heart then she turned wild and tragedy struck. Colt meted out revenge against the man who brought Feb low but even though Colt risked it all for her, Feb turned her back on him and left town.

Fifteen years later, Feb comes back to help run the family bar. But there’s so much water under the bridge separating her and Colt everyone knows they’ll never get back together.

Until someone starts hacking up people in Feb’s life. Colt is still Colt and Feb is still Feb so the town watches as Colt goes all out to find the murderer while trying to keep Feb safe.

As the bodies pile up, The Feds move in and a twisting, turning story unravels exposing a very sick man who has claimed numerous victims along the way, Feb and Colt battle their enduring attraction and the beautiful but lost history that weaves them together.








MY REVIEW


For You by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 utterly beautiful and heartbreaking STARS


“Since I was three, there’s never been a day when I wasn’t in love with you.”


WOW...just WOW!

I'm sure at this point a lot of you are tired of my Kristen Ashley reading spree, but I can't stop and you just have to deal. I'm sorry.
Good news is, this is one hell of a book and I honestly think For You has something for everyone. An epic love story, mystery that keeps you at the edge of your seat, suspense and tissue moments that break your heart.

With my growing KA experience I can honestly say this is not like the others. And I suspect the whole series will be very enjoyable.


“I’ve moved on, Colt.”“Bullshit, Feb, you’re stuck, same as me.”


Let's start with the most important thing:

February Owens and Alexander Colton are meant to be together.

There are no two ways about it. They've known each other since forever and have always been a little bit more than friends until they eventually got together as teenagers.

When Feb was twenty years and Colt twenty-two years old something happened and the couple everyone was rooting for broke up - out of the blue, from one day to another - all over.

February went wild, got into a lot of trouble and eventually married the wrong guy. The guy who turned out to be violent and a complete asshole. The whole thing turned into revenge dished out by no other than Colt, a divorce and Feb leaving town.


I know that's a lot of information, but that's actually already disclosed in the blurb, so don't worry. In the grand scheme of things that's very little input.

But forget about the past for a little while and FAST FORWARD twenty years, that's where all the drama lies...

“Seems to be there’s advantage to be taken, son, and ain’t no one in a hundred mile radius would blame you for takin’ it.”


At this point Feb has been back in town for two years and today she has one hell of a crap day. Although finding a friend in the alley behind your bar - murdered - will do that to you. And the day takes a turn for the worse when the former love of her life, her high school sweetheart and lead Detective Alexander Colton arrives. And then the following days turn into a much bigger mess when even more dead bodies turn up...all seemingly connected to dear February Owens.

What follows is a thrilling murder hunt, two damaged people trying to unravel the past in order to solve an atrocious crime and their future at the same time.
For You is a beautiful and very complex story; with a lot of secrets, unknown players and unfortunately...death.

I'm just going to confess here...yes, I cried. *sniffs* That doesn't happen very often, but I cried and maybe I had a hormonal day, but I was moved and I'm not afraid to share. ;D Apparently Kristen Ashley can do that to me and I won't complain.

“Lonely’s a different kind of pain, it doesn’t hurt as bad as heartbreak. I preferred it and embraced it ‘cause I reckoned it was one or the other.”


Feb is a pretty strong character and she did the best she could with the cards she was dealt. Life just doesn't always turn out the way you want it to. What I like most about her is the taste in music. She sure knows what to listen to.

Colt...*sigh*, he is kind of awesome. He does have this perfect guy reputation in town and for all intents and purposes he does live up to the hype. Not many guys can do that. I love his conviction and determination.

Both characters are very well developed and bring a rich background, lots of family and drama. That's one thing I really like about KA books. Thanks to the length and Ms. Ashley's love for detail we get some very rounded worlds that feel so real you can almost touch it.



For You is a second chance story and I couldn't be happier about it. While reading this truly amazing book I came to the conclusion that second chance stories are one of my all time favourite romance tropes. It's so cheesy and predictable, but I adore it and this one was so well executed and the whole back story and murder mystery just made it all together perfect.


“I remember everything about you and I remember all the reasons why I loved you. Never could forget even when I tried.”


Despite the mayhem happening all around I really appreciated the MC's rational and mature actions. At no point was I annoyed or frustrated by Feb or Cold. In all fairness they made their mistakes a long time ago and fortunately for us they have learned a lot since then. It's really refreshing to see characters taking a breath, thinking about their actions and making good choices as a result.

And I have to say one more thing. At about 80% it hit me like a freight train...Colt is not my all time favourite book boyfriend and Feb is not my favourite book heroine - but together Colt and Feb are one of my all time favourite couples. I can't even say why it's just a feeling...they fit so well and it's such a joy to see their story unfold. And I didn't want it to end.

Also, Fleetwood Mac! If you read the book and don't know what I'm talking about...well, then I can't help you anyway 'cause there is no cure for bad taste in music.

“He was hearing Stevie Nicks singing in his head when Colt fell asleep in the bed, in the house, with the woman at his side that life meant him to have. After waiting for forty-four years, for the fifth night in a row, Alexander Colton was finally living the life he was meant to be living.”



**So so sorry, this took forever to write. But better late than never. ;P

No comments

Post a Comment

+up