November 20, 2014

Review: The Gamble by Kristen Ashley



Love is the greatest gamble of all . . .

Nina Sheridan desperately needs a timeout vacation. With a fiancé who can't even remember how she takes her coffee, Nina wants some distance to rethink her engagement. Flying halfway around the world from England to a mountain town in Colorado should do the trick. But when she finds a gorgeous man at her rental cabin, Nina's cold, lonely adventure suddenly heats up.

The owner of the house, Holden "Max" Maxwell is surprised by the beautiful woman who turns up at his door. But when Nina becomes ill, Max spends days nursing her back to health. A private man with a broken heart, Max finds himself drawn to the strong-willed woman. Soon it becomes impossible for Nina and Max to deny their growing attraction to one another. Yet even as these two wounded lovebirds think about taking a chance on a relationship, a dangerous secret from Max's past emerges-and threatens to end their love for good.








MY REVIEW


The Gamble by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 the definition of guilty pleasure STARS



And another Kristen Ashley book for me. I simply can't stop with this woman. I'm guessing it has something to do with my current mood and my need to read something lovely that makes me feel good...like coming home, or eating comfort food in grandma's kitchen.

Anyway...why did I put 'the definition of guilty pleasure' up there in my rating? Because it's one of those chick flicks where you have to suspend your disbelieve and just go with the flow.

“I looked to the ceiling and told God, “God, next time I want an adventure, strike me with lightning. You have my permission.”


Thirty-six year old Nina Sheridan needs a timeout from her job and her life, but most importantly from her neglecting fiancé. So naturally she hops on a plane from England to America, drives into the Colorado Mountains where she booked a beautiful A-Frame for two weeks.

Turns out the idyllic get-away is occupied by the owner and her booking was made by mistake. Said owner, Holden "Max" Maxwell makes her turn around in a snow storm to find a hotel room in town. What could possibly go wrong, right?

“When I met you, my first thought was you were very pretty, great fuckin' eyes, but not my type. High-class which means high maintenance. Then you got pissed and that was it. Even if you hadn't been in that ditch, now you'd still be in my bed. So if you think this attitude is a turn off, baby you're wrong.”


Just a minor accident. Nina lands in a ditch and wakes up in the A-Frame...rescued by Max. *sigh*

The moment she hit that snow bank I jumped up and down and screamed...OMG she's about to be rescued by someone tall, dark and handsome...See where I'm going with the whole cliché, guilty pleasure, suspend your disbelieve thing?

No?

Well, I'll give you one more thing.

Turns out Nina gets sick...honest to god...fever and not being able to walk sick. Max takes care of her and after she is better he won't let her leave...o.O I mean he is sweet about it and there is a spark there and they go into town and do stuff and have guests over and all that, but common sense says ...RUN, girl...RUN!

Remember? Suspend your disbelieve!

“You think to slide back, settle for something that made you run away because you think it's safe, because it's familiar, because your scare of taking a GAMBLE on me, I'm warning you now, Duchess, I'm not gonna allow that.”


If you just go with the flow, this is one hell of an entertaining book. The whole town is involved and is cheering for Max and Nina and there are a lot of crazy mountain town people shenanigans going on and oh...there's a murder.

Didn't expect that, did you?

Then there is also the matter of the fiancé and family is always a bad thing and thank god for pretty mountain views...life would be really hard otherwise. ;P

“Babe,” he replied, grinning then said no more. Still being helpful, I explained, “I know you think that word speaks volumes but, I have to tell you, it actually doesn’t.”


My biggest problem was Nina. She is a smart woman, a lawyer, and she is very independent and self sufficient and all that. But for some reason she doesn't talk in whole sentences. Here are her favourite words: 'Um...' 'Max.' and my personal favourite...'Sorry?'

I think she has some hearing problems. Nina doesn't get what you're saying the first time around, which is odd since she is a smart girl. But in the end it leads to people always repeating their sentences to her...Ugh and that's just not cool.

But Max on the other hand is AWSOME!! He's all -mountain man, no bullshit, I take what I want and I take care of what I own- fabulous. It's pretty neat, in a romance book kind of way.


“You’re being domineering again,” I informed him.I felt his mouth grin under mine and watched his eyes do it. “Yeah, baby, fair warnin’, when we’re naked, you better get used to that.”I gasped at his words then he kissed me.”


So, Max the local poster boy who everyone loves and the American girl who lived too long in England and who speaks in an English accent. They're the best. OMG, they fight...mostly because Nina is a hell cat and Max is a stubborn mountain man and they bicker and they are made for each other. From the moment they met there was no other way but for them to be a couple...fate really. ;D

I'm going to read the first book in The ‘Burg series next...just hopping around and checking out all of KA's books and different scenarios. I'll be back to the Colorado Mountains in no time.

See you then. ;D

No comments

Post a Comment

+up